Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Day 336: Seasons (a monologue)

I wouldn't want to live where the alternating seasons didn't bring new weather.
Things need to change, they're supposed to change.
It’s tradition!
It can’t be summer forever, that’s just crazy talk!
And I love summer.
But I love fall even more.
Those fiery colours and them crunchy leaves under my old leather boots.
Walking about the streets, camera in hand, tweed pageboy hat on my head.
Feels so nice and feels too short.
Ol' Man Winter wants his turn real quick.
Sure, he can be fierce and stick around too long.
But the good parts of him include sitting out a snow storm while drinking hot toddies.
Or just plain scotch, my favourite, while snuggling by a fireplace.
If you ain't got one, well, freezing is good reason to get real close to someone accidentally on purpose.
To stay warm, you know?
And then after the wicked cold spell, there’s spring.
She smells kind of bad in the beginning, what with all that unearthed dog poop.
But when she warms up, and cleans up, everything gets a brand new start.
Everything – even me.
That’s pretty nice of spring, don’t you agree?
And when her sister summer come around, I get giddy about being so damn hot.
Like it’s the first time I ever met her or ever felt the sun on my skin.
The BBQ grilling, cold watermelon slices, feet dangling in cool water…
Life feels pretty sweet.
Then, faster than you know, it starts all over again when cousin fall shows up.
And so on and so forth.
It's the way it’s supposed to go.
It is!
I know it's a pain in the ass to have to rotate them drawers and closets every few months.
But people have been doing it since the beginning of time.
Who are we to get so damn lazy?
Seasons make life feel like an art show.
And I wouldn't want to live anywhere I couldn't be part of it.
No sir.
Not me.
I'll take 'em.
I'll take 'em all.


1 comment:

  1. AMEN!

    I love the seasons, one of my fave photographic subjects too. And I adore this whole description - you've captured it perfectly, so I'll just say thank you. :)

    note to self: accidentally get lost in Canada with whiskey this winter. ;)

    ReplyDelete