Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day 276: Closing Time.

I’m 33 years old and still I am baffled by death.
The news of my cousin passing, suddenly, overwhelms me with hurt.
For his sisters and brother, for his daughters, for his grandchildren.
For my mother who lost another nephew.
For all of us.
Instantly the emotional landscape shifts.
New reality.
Minus one.
Can anyone get used to the bitch-slap that reality serves when someone dies?
A swift blow to the heart.
And then the dull ache that stretches its arms out, takes a seat and gets comfortable.
There to remind you of all that is fragile.
All that is futile.
All that is important.
All that is fleeting.
It ends when it ends, my friends.
Love well.

1 comment:

  1. No, we are never prepared when a loved one is ripped away from us. I am so sorry for your loss. I think the shock and the horror DOES bite slightly less with the more people you have lost, not that your heart doesn't break every time, just that the accumulated scar tissue tends to insulate it a little more each time.

    ReplyDelete