Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 252: Five seconds of 'yes' or 'no'.

Today at work a roofing technician came to check out a leak on the ceiling of the board room.
When he was done surveying the damage, the receptionist called to say he was ready to see me and explain the problem.
So I went into the board room and found a ruggedly handsome man standing on a chair fiddling with a ceiling trap.
When he saw me walk in, he got down to shake my hand.
He had a broad, warm smile and the instant his hand hit mine, I felt a jolt of attraction course through my veins.
What the hell?! Where did that come from?
He spoke about the roof and I tried very hard to concentrate on what he was saying.
I was too busy thinking how odd and forceful physical attraction is.
No rhyme or reason to it.
It’s all chemical.
It’s overpowering.
He’s talking to you, you need to understand what he’s saying, pay attention!
Then, still speaking, he took his camera out of his pocket to show me photos taken on the roof.
He stood so close beside me, I could smell the soap on his skin.
Shit. My weakness is a soapy smelling man.
He zoomed in to a photo and pointed to the screen, explaining something about the drain pipe.
In doing so, he moved in even closer, leaving our faces about two inches apart.
I listened and watched him talk and then he stopped mid sentence and just looked at me.
Our eyes locked, and for five long seconds, we said nothing.
We just looked at each other, two inches apart.
My heart was racing.
I looked down first, cleared my throat and smilingly asked him to send that report to our engineer.
What the fuck!!! Did I almost kiss an absolute stranger?! At work?!
He smiled back, shook my hand and I walked him to the front door where we nodded goodbye.
I told the receptionist that if he came back for repairs, she should call my coworker (a male) because I don’t understand plumbing.
I walked into my office closing the door behind me.
Then I clasped my mouth and giggled.
Damn! That was fun.


4 comments:

  1. Serendipity would be that he reads your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you just gave me an idea for what I'll be doing on my first trip to your city. Do they let you wear a tool belt on a plane? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silly Rabbit!
    “For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.”

    - John Greenleaf Whittier
    (via m.kaboom)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nah, really don't think so. But the five seconds were fun. (And I got a post out of it).

    ReplyDelete