Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 201: family



I've just made myself a rooibos latte at 8:30pm on a Saturday.
It’s really good, actually.
It's going down easy.
I spent the afternoon with my nephew.
Took him to Toy R Us to choose a birthday gift.
He just turned 5.
That entailed me chasing after him on a tricycle all around the store.
We crashed a few times.
The rest of the customers shot me dirty looks.
But the kid had fun.

So did I.
Then as I’m driving him home he asks: 


Him: Zia, do you have a family?
Me: What do you mean, monkey? You’re my family.
Him: Yeah, but do you have a family at your house?
Me: At my house? (pause) Hmmm, I guess I don’t.  It’s just me.
Him: Why?
Me:  (longer pause) Ummm, I don’t know. Why do you ask?
Him: I don’t know.


And onto the next discussion.
That’s the thing with kids.
They sometimes ask questions you don’t have the answers to.
Normally, that would have winded me.
Wounded me.
Instead I found sweetness in the fact that the answer will come.
When it's damn well ready to.

Tonight I will stay in. 

Completely content sipping my latte alone in my own walls.
I feel like myself for the first time in a really long time.
I have dusted off the dust bunnies on my guitar case.
So maybe I'll take ol' Fender for a spin and play a song or two.
Badly... but hey, it's been a while.
And sing.
Yeah, I really want to sing.

4 comments:

  1. Sing your heart out m'love.

    A xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Antimony, you took the words out of my mouth... Sing bella!

    ReplyDelete