Sunday, April 3, 2011

Day 181: land mines

Are there any happy couples out there?
Raise your hand, please.
I’d really like to believe there are.
I come from happily married parents.
And my sister is happily married, too.
Solid couples. (Knock on wood).
But there is so much unhappiness out there.
People I know.
People who tell me so.
People who are not well matched.
People who stay for monetary reasons.
People who let one person dictate how life is.
People with wandering eyes.
People who don’t know themselves outside of the couple they are in.
Oufff!!

I’ve seen (and lived through) some things that have me scratching my head at relationships.
And quite honestly, I’m scared shitless of them now.
This coming from the girl with great role models....imagine!
What is it that makes some relationships work when so much is visibly wrong?
And why do the ones that seem to have it together, break up?
Is there too much unsaid?
Or too much said?
I can’t tell.
When people try to grow old together, do they always grow apart?
Even couples with immense mutual respect have at least one person struggling with doubt.
I can’t help but average out that most big relationships have a 5-10 year expiry date.
That’s crazy.
CRAZY!
I mean, is that it?
Are we unrealistic to hope for more than that these days?
I wonder.
I really do.
Does anyone else?
What is the magical combination for two people to happily tick like clocks together?
At the same pace?
And in the same time zone?
Anyone got some answers for me?
Is it safe to take that step and fall in love?


3 comments:

  1. I can think of so many cliches, but the bottom line is-YES! Always at least give it a chance :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents have been married for 57 years (58 in June) and they are a close and loving couple. Last year when I was venturing into a new relationship after 23 years of marriage, I asked them what they considered were the secrets of a happy relationship. They said having some common interests, not arguing about money, laughter and considering the other's needs before their own.
    Now I'm sure other couples who have been together a long time would have their own secrets but I think it's worth asking them. From an advanced age, there is a sense of perspective about what really matters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post. Thanks for sharing. I liked it. I personally believe for a happy relationship Zodiac Match or Zodiac Compatibility is one of the important factor.

    Take the Zodiac Match Test and find out which zodiac sign is your best match?

    ReplyDelete