Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day 142: What is your time worth?

What accounts for a good work ethic? Is it the way we are raised? Is it cultural? Is it personality? I mean, I come from immigrant parents who had to scrape for every dollar they ever earned. And they raised me to wake up Saturday mornings to clean the house before watching cartoons. They also pushed me to get a part time job in my late teens to fatten my bank account so I could buy myself any extras I wanted. They taught me about respect, hard work and goals.

So I can say it’s because of them, but I am also a perfectionist by nature. I take pride in whatever I attach my name to and work harder for it to succeed. I seem to have surrounded myself with like-minded people. My friends are all hard workers. And most of us are underpaid and undervalued at our jobs. We complain about it a lot. Employers find people like us, who have a genuinely vested interest, and they thank their lucky stars… but then they do not pay us according to what we deserve. And we’re too polite to ask. We are gems. Seriously, we are. It’s hard to find employees that give a damn anymore. That you can depend on. That will stay late to push a brand or a product. That will take on more responsibility and do it well because people trust them with it.

Do you know how many employees do the bare minimum out there? Who never go beyond their job description, because they don’t have to? Who punch in and punch out? It’s nuts! And these coasters always seem to know every single law out there about sick days, overtime stipulations, etc…I want to know who is raising these lazy ass kids to think the world owes them a favour without working for one!

It’s not right. However which way we got here, our work ethic is exemplary!  We need to value ourselves. Stop complaining and demand more because we consistently give more.  And I know that’s not easy. Trust me, I know that. That’s also part of how we were raised. To accept what they give us and be grateful we have jobs. Bullshit, man! That doesn't build a savings account. 

My mama taught me well, but that don't mean I gotta be a pushover.

4 comments:

  1. It's called the Reverse Karma Syndrome: The less you do, the more you are rewarded. It's a rampant disease, infecting all office towers in downtown Montreal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are on the other side of the fence and we see all the garbage workers out there. Nobody does more but lots do less!!! We are great to our employees (those that have your work ethics)cause we want to keep these workers. Don't be afraid to ask for more because at the end of the day they(your employers)may give you want you want cause they too know what is out-there!!!Don't be a pushover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this post!! This is exactly how I have been feeling lately at work. I feel like I always put in the extra effort when no one else does and I never get recognized for it. Not like I always need to be noticed but a thank you or a nice job would be nice every once in awhile. I am thankful for my job and I'm not the type to complain or say anything about it. However, I feel a lot changing with inside me and I feel that one day I might burst and actually say something.

    Also, I just read your last three or four post. All wonderfully written. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it funny how we perpetuate those lessons our parents taught us? I work in a public service industry so apart from a collective bargaining agreement, I have no idea what it feels like to have to ask for more money, better conditions from your employers. But I do know what it feels like when I look across all the people I work with and decide who could take on more. And there are always the yous of the work force. I'm one of them too. But the really interesting thing you've made me think about is how proud of my children I felt when I discovered they had that exact same work ethic you describe. Am I wrong?

    ReplyDelete