Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Day 100: Show the love.

This past weekend, while getting my nails done, I asked my awesome manicurist, Jenny, how she met her husband. She said she met him by chance at a friend’s wedding. They were seated at the same table, talked and danced all night and the very next day he called to ask her out again. She lived in Ottawa and he lived in Montreal, and he would drive every weekend to see her. She said to me, “He was so crazy. Some days, when I was in school, he used to drive all the way to Ottawa from Montreal just to bring me food for lunch.  And then he would drive back home right after!” (That made me smile). “One night, after I had driven to see him in Montreal, I was too tired to drive back...so he drove me home with my car and then took the bus back home!”

I love hearing stories like that. It made me think back to one of my more romantic boyfriends. He was really something. He spoiled me as often as he could. He went out of his way to surprise me in crazy ways just to make me feel special and loved. On our 6 month anniversary, he had 180 roses delivered to my house--one for every day we were together. (You'd think I had robbed a florist, it was quite the sight). Another time, he surprised me with an overnight trip to NYC for a picnic in Central Park on my birthday. (It was such an awesome day, too. I still think about it).  But the most touching and memorable thing he ever did for me, was to find the only copy (in Canada) of an out-of-print book I loved as a child; and then gave it to me as a present for no particular occasion.  Was all this necessary? No, of course not. Did I feel like the luckiest girl in the world every time? Absolutely.  And it’s not like the guy was Daddy Warbucks or anything, he had a regular job like the rest of us. He just had a big heart and knew how to make me feel one in a million.

That kind of romance, is it dying away? That whole “let me show them I love them” stuff…do people still do that? I feel like I don’t hear about it as often as I used to. Instead, I hear about relationships falling apart, spouses fighting, new couples unsure if their partner wants to commit because they never talk about where it is leading to. Can romance come back in style, please?  I think we’re all a little due for some. Grand gestures, small gestures… Show the love! In whatever capacity you feel you can--whether it lands you on your ass, rejected or alone. Just show it! I can tell you first hand, it will be remembered forever. 

8 comments:

  1. I was in Hong Kong for all of this past November for work and the food is great there, but it's different and in the end all I really wanted was a shitty homemade ham sandwich with the lettuce, tomatoes, mustard, etc. and every time I called my boyfriend I kept complaining that all I really wanted was that darn sandwich. I got home a month later, forgetting about that sandwich, and he was supposed to be gone to NYC but he ended up staying and picking me up from the airport. When we got home I got some flowers AND a fully prepared ham sandwich in the fridge with a note that said "for emergency use only". My roommates had let him when I was away to make it so I'd find it upon my return. Needless to say, I don't think romance is all that dead... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You see, that's what I'm talking about. I love that! Glad you got yourself a good man. I want to hear more of these stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Mr. Darcy days are long gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My own Mr. Darcy, or perhaps I should call him Monsieur D'arcy is still romantic...not with flowers and chocs and surprises but with all the little things he does to make me know he loves me.

    Usually after he has done something to make me spitting mad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The 'little things' are my personal favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a (mostly) hopeless romantic too, and I won't say much because I realize anything I say here might sound like "look how romantic I am ladies!". Ha. :)

    But. I do honestly love such open and thoughtful displays of affection. Doesn't have to be grand, just meaningful.

    Don't settle for anything less, dear - it's still out there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. all the stories in this post and all the comments are wonderful and I often wonder if I am in the right relationship or not because stuff like that has never been done for me...my conclution is always that there are no longer men in the world who are that sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I say "show the love" I am not leaving this responsibility solely on the men. Women too need to show it a little more. Show that appreciation for the person they are with. Show that you pay attention to the little things you know would make them smile. You know? Perhaps you're looking for some of the grand gestures mentioned (which are awesome, yes) but romance could be as simple as making the coffee in the morning to save time for the other person to get out the door faster... Or cleaning the tub and drawing a bath for you to have a soak...

    But if you don't feel appreciated, or special EVER...then maybe your gut is telling you something that your heart won't let you listen to. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete