Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 119: A letter for W.S.

Dear William,
I write to you with a very late confession:  I think I might have fallen in love with you.   
It all began so innocently.  People told me about you. I found you alluring, but I couldn’t quite comprehend all the fuss they made over you.  I was very young, and I thought you spoke rather strangely. I liked you, but you intimidated me.  So I dismissed you as complicated and dull.

Thankfully, Fate was wiser than me. It persistently made us cross paths again and again.  And in spending time with you, I found myself genuinely interested in what you had to say.  Your knowledge of human nature intrigued me. There was something profoundly unique about the way you expressed yourself. But still I kept my distance.
One dewy midsummer night, you countered my resistance.  You led me by the hand and showed me the sweet and naïve vulnerability of love’s first kiss.  I was charmed by your romantic and colorful eloquence. Everything sparkled!  And just as I was basking in your brightness, you lured me down a shadowy path and seduced me with the deepest, darkest side of passion.  There I witnessed bold love transformed into something fierce; a madness that was hauntingly lovely and dangerously fragile. I was enraptured by it all. But, I had other courters claiming my time. And although you had made quite an impression, I was overwhelmed and walked away from it all.
Now I am much older, and I find myself remembering you.  Searching for pieces of you. Because I understand you better...Your depth. Your inimitable wit. And I wonder how I could have ever let a mind as special as yours slip through my fingers.  
I know I am very late, but I wanted to tell you that I think you are magnificent.  I am ready to make up for lost time.
Sincerely and apologetically,
Me



3 comments:

  1. I like how this works for many different people and that it doesn't come right out and say, "Hey! I'm talking about Shakespeare!!" It's subtle. I like your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shakespeare as epiphany:

    1984 RSC Stratford
    Antony Sher as Richard 111
    A black widow spider they said
    to me he was a damaged crow
    the crutches - broken wings
    feather naked
    a scavenger
    seeking carrion in weakness
    spitefull and clever
    Alluring
    I was stunned

    And afterwards we sat at the next table in the Dirty Duck. I with a lover, he with his agent.
    He talked business,
    I tried not to stare
    I've been staring ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree strongly with Sharona. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete