Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Day 65: Pools of sorrow waves of joy.

Thirty years ago today John Lennon was senselessly shot and killed outside the Dakota building where he lived with his wife, Yoko Ono. I got really teary eyed hearing his music on the radio today, and from reading the tributes in the major newspapers. John has fascinated me since I was young, and has impacted me creatively in so many ways that I feel something really special for him.

Besides loving and collecting his music, I have read several biographies including one written by his first wife, Cynthia Lennon. The book, simply titled John, is an intimate recount of her time with him and after him. Cynthia knew and experienced life with John before and throughout the wild success of the Beatles. And she was left behind when that success surpassed its boiling point and destiny led him down a different path into the arms of Yoko Ono.

Her book made me see John through the eyes of someone who loved him, and who saw him as a special man and not this untouchable creative visionary. She recounts how he lived life with passion and inspiration coursing through his veins. He was witty, funny, honest, loving, and cleverly outspoken. But he was also insecure, needy, unfaithful, callous, and sadly craved a maternal comfort that he lacked in his formative years. She showed me he was human. He had shortcomings. He had broken bits like the rest of us. He just happened to have had immense talent. And he just happened to have been in a band called the Beatles.

I’m sad that he had to die the way that he did. A person who campaigned insistently for peace to have been gunned down so violently is a tragedy of Shakespearean proportions. I’m sad that he didn’t get to grow old. I’m sad that I don’t get to experience seeing him in the news today, heatedly discussing political matters or the wars that are still being fought out there.  But in my sadness of the world losing John 'the man', there's a comfort that we still have John 'the artist'. Words that he wrote, sang or spoke back then are still relevant today. And I have a feeling, they always will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment