Monday, December 6, 2010

Day 63: Let your mind be free...(turn off the sitar music and pass me a scouring pad)

Some people sit in the pretzel position to meditate. They wear loose clothing, relax their bodies and allow their minds to quietly drift downstream into nothingness. Yeah…Not me. I can’t do that. It’s not programmed into my genetic code. I sit, close my eyes and usually wind up mentally listing groceries I need to buy, words that are fun to say, and-- after about 4 minutes-- fall asleep.  Apparently (and I blame my Italian upbringing for this) what works for me is cleaning the oven. 

Old school styles. I got down on my knees and scrubbed the crap out of that oven. I’m telling you, I attacked that grime with such overzealous ferocity it looked brand new. (Well, as new as a circa 1972 oven can look, but you get the point). When I was done, my arms were sore (pathetic, I know) and I was pretty damn high from the Easy Off fumes (note to self: must open window when working with toxic cleaning agents). BUT I realized that I didn't think of anything for one whole hour!  One whole hour!! Can I hear an AMEN?! Do you know how big of an accomplishment that is for an over thinker like me? A big one--big enough to give myself a rubber gloved high five. 

I needed that. So did my oven. 
It was win-win.

** p.s.: I didn’t burn off the excess product long enough and subsequently got a wee bit sick from roasting toxic veggies. But that’s another blog post altogether. (Ahem).**

No comments:

Post a Comment