Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Day 85: from the heart

Yesterday my godmother Maria got me the most thoughtful Christmas gift I have ever received. A gorgeous silver paperweight of an early propeller plane along with a clipping of Amelia Earhart’s bio.  In the card she wrote: It is meant to compliment you above all and perhaps continue to inspire and motivate you to be the unique, special, groundbreaking woman that you are. Be all that you can be, your way.

I was really touched. Because in a sea of family always asking:“You don’t have a boyfriend?” or “Still living alone?” she (someone I have always looked up to and admired) decided to discuss the woman I am trying to be outside of a man or a job.  And to celebrate who I am as an individual.  I needed that.



The first line of the bio says: “Amelia Earhart was the first aviatrix to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean.”  I don't consider myself groundbreaking in the least, but I am attempting to take flight in different ways. And now I have a lovely daily reminder sitting on my desk encouraging me to take the risk.



"Everyone has ocean's to fly, if they have the heart to do it. Is it reckless? Maybe. But what do dreams know of boundaries?"
Amelia Earhart

2 comments:

  1. I love this! What a great gift and what a wonderful women your grandmother must be!
    Also,
    I randomly came across your blog awhile ago while just paging through them one day and I just have to tell you (hope this isn't creepy) that I admire your writing and I love that you update everyday. It always gives me something good to read. I look forward to your updates and I love that your searching for the individual you are and are going to become. I just graduated college and I feel like I am on a similar search that has only just begun!!
    -thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Hi there! Why would that be creepy? Instead, you have no idea how good it makes me feel if you found something worth looking into more than once. I'm not quite sure what's evolving here on this blog, but I'm sorting through it. I appreciate the support. Congrats on graduating! To many more adventures in being Danielle. Merci, vraiment. :)

    ReplyDelete