Friday, November 12, 2010

Day 39: Look. At. Me.

People don’t make eye contact anymore. Have you noticed how elusive eye contact has become? When people talk to you, are their eyes wandering about? And when you speak to them, what are you looking at? Seriously, in the next face à face conversation you have (regardless the topic) pay attention to where you are both looking. What is this strange avoidance?

In the checkout line at the supermarket, at the video store…people are speaking to you, handing you things, saying goodbye and not looking at you. If I accidentally bump into someone on the street, or hold the door open for someone behind me, I look at them square in the face and smile. And, I’m not quite sure why, but I think the majority of people get uncomfortable with that. They don’t smile back --or if they do-- they say thank you while looking at the door handle. I know this, because I am looking at them.

In our world, so strung together by technology, have we all become words on a screen? Or voices over a telephone or video chat? Have we lost the beauty and simplicity of personal contact?

Looking someone in the eyes is acknowledgment. I’m not talking creepy-concentrated-bizarro gazing or anything, but you are, in fact, sharing a moment. However routine, beautiful, intense, sad, joyous, frivolous, or unimportant that moment may be…it is just about being present with someone.

So, for the love of all things human, let’s look at eachother next time. OK?


1 comment:

  1. amen. I teach that to my kids all the time. There is no point in greeting someone if you don't LOOK AT THE PERSON IN THE EYES....

    ReplyDelete